New Jersey City University (NJCU) opened in 1929 as the New Jersey State Normal School. After several name changes and curriculum expansion, it became a liberal arts institution in 1968. It gained approval in 1998 for a change in institutional status and adapted the name New Jersey City University. It is located at 2039 Kennedy Boulevard, Jersey City, New Jersey.
Bordered on the north and south by private residences, the NJCU campus shows the results of its expansion efforts over the decades. Some of the more recent additions to its facilities include the Fries Hall and the Michael B. Gilligan Student Union Building, among others. NJCU is New Jersey’s only public urban college providing easy accessibility to cultural and intellectual interest offered by a city.
More than twenty-five undergraduate degree programs are offered plus several graduate and teacher certification programs. These programs are offered through the university’s William J. Maxwell College of Arts and Sciences, the Deborah Cannon Partridge Wolfe College of Education, and College of Professional Studies. Certification Programs are offered in the areas of Elementary Education, Early Childhood Education, Driver Education, Health Education and School Nurse.
Almost 600 personal computers have been provided by the university for students’ use. There are three different types of computer lab settings: public, semi-public and majors-only labs. While public computer labs are available to all NJCU community members, semi-public computer labs provide limited access only due to regularly scheduled classes and training activities. Majors-only computer labs provide no access for public use and can only be used by students officially enrolled in a department course.
Tuition rate for graduate on-campus classes cost $ 443.45 per credit for state residents or $ 818.00 for out-of-town residents.