Saint Xavier is Chicago’s oldest Catholic university, a four-year co-ed institution founded in 1846 by the Sisters of Mercy. With the city of Chicago only a few years old, Bishop William Quarter invited the Sisters of Mercy to begin a school dedicated to Catholic education. Originally a girls’ academy, Saint Xavier has grown into a highly ranked regional university according to US News and World Report
The School of Nursing, accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), is ranked one of the best online MSN programs in the US by The Best Colleges. The online Master’s in Nursing program offers two tracks of study: Executive Leadership focuses on preparing nurses for high-level administrative duties over departments or units; Clinical Leadership emphasizes working closely with patients while improving patient care and outcomes as a leader. These programs are designed for experience nurses who already have a BSN.
Applications for the MSN require:
- A completed application form, including personal statement.
- BSN with a GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Current registered nursing license
- At least one year of full-time work experience as a registered nurse
- Official transcript(s)
- Three completed recommendation forms
- Current resume or curriculum vitae.
- Applicants may be asked to complete an interview, including a writing sample.
Tuition for distance education in nursing is $595 per semester hour. Qualifying students may apply for federal student aid, loans, and grants.