National-Louis University (NLU) was founded in 1886 as Miss Harrison’s Training School. It changed its name to Chicago Kindergarten Training School the very next year when the American Kindergarten Movement started in its campus. It went through several more name changes before it became known by its present name in 1990. NLU is largely credited with the creation of the Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) which traces its beginnings to a series of mothers’ convocations sponsored by the school founder, Elizabeth Harrison. Such convocations eventually became the National Congress of Mothers and then the PTA.
The university offers programs leading to bachelor’s and master’s degrees through its three colleges: the National College of Education founded in 1886, the College of Arts and Sciences founded in 1982 and the College of Management and Business founded in 1989. Its academic programs consist of 19 bachelor’s programs, 30 master’s programs, 11 post-master’s education specialist programs, 8 doctoral programs and 8 online degree programs. Several special programs are likewise offered such as the Community College Leadership Doctoral Program and the Joint Degree: BA and MA.
Total enrollment is estimated at 15,000 including undergraduate and graduate students. The faculty is comprised of 246 members. Class schedules are very flexible with the availability of day, evening, weekend and 24/7 online classes. Undergraduate courses range from $ 337.00 to $ 466.00 per credit hour.
The main campus of NLU is located at 122 S. Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. However, it also offers its programs in several other locations including its campuses in Elgin, Illinois; Lisle, Illinois; Skokie, Illinois; Wheeling, Illinois; Tampa, Florida; Beloit, Wisconsin; Milwaukee, Wisconsin; and in Nowy Sacz, Poland. NLU classes are also conducted at Andrews Air Force Base for members of the US Armed Forces in Washington DC and also at several community colleges as handled by NLU faculty members.